- Chapter 12 – Google Analytics Custom Reports
In Google Analytics, you have access to many standard and pre-built reports. But often you will need reports that haven't been built. One option is creating your own Custom Reports.
Under your Google Analytics property, go to:
View -> Customization -> +New Custom Report
- Enter a report name in the Name field.
- Choose Flat Table as Type.
For Metric Groups, select from +add metric:
- Page Views
- % New Sessions
- Bounce Rate
- Any Goal you have previous set up and are also important to be included in regular reports.
For Dimension drill-downs, select from +add dimension:
- Landing Page
Assume you want to a custom report containing only organic search data. To filter / restrict the report to show only organic search data.
medium = organic
To filter restrict the report to show only organic search data from Baidu.
medium = organic source = baidu
Alternatively, combine the dimensions into one.
source/medium = baidu / organic
Custom Report Example
A typical Custom Report that is created through this method may have rows and columns like the format below.
|Date||Landing Page||Sessions||Page Views||% New Sessions||Bounce Rate||Transactions|
|April 1, 2016||/index.php||500||2533||37%||62%||7|
|April 2, 2016||/fruits/||123||870||31%||59%||2|
|April 3, 2016||/candies/||68||293||42%||57%||0|
- Chapter 11 – Track New Search Engines through Google Analytics
- Chapter 13 – Google Analytics Self Referrals
- Chapter 14 – Google Analytics Sampled Data
- Chapter 15 – Google Mobile App Analytics
Gordon Choi's Analytics Book has been available since August 2016.
Content on Gordon Choi's Analytics Book is licensed under the CC Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International license.